This tried and tested plant-based sausage recipe will leave you second guessing whether they’re actually the real deal. Also, they’re so quick and easy to make! And perfect for vegetarians, vegans and pretty much anyone who fancies a change from traditional pork bangers.
Total time: 45 mins
You will need
- 1 can of borlotti beans (400g)
- 1 clove of garlic or 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 red onion
- 2tbsp almonds
- 50g of jumbo oats
- 100g mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 1tbsp sausage and sage seasoning
Preparing your plant-based sausages
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F (optional – for those who prefer oven baked to fried)
- Chop the red onion and mushrooms to a suitable size for the blender.
- Add your onion, mushrooms, borlotti beans, and almonds into the blender. Pulse into a textured paste.
- Add in your jumbo oats and blend until the oats are fully covered in the paste. This will thicken the mixture into a texture similar to traditional sausage meat.
- Remove the mixture from the blender and place into a bowl, adding 1 tbsp of olive oil and stirring together. Check that the mixture is still firm but not sticky. If you feel that an extra tablespoon of olive oil is needed then add, but remember your mixture has to be firm enough to mold.
- Next add the seasoning and mix well before letting the mixture settle in the fridge for around 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, take a small handful of the mixture (depending on the size you prefer) and start moulding into a sausage shape.
- Place each sausage on a baking tray and space out evenly to ensure they keep their form.
- Pop them back in the fridge to firm up for a further 5-10 minutes.
- If you’d like to freeze these sausages for later use, simply wrap each individual sausage in tin foil or cling film and pop in the freezer.
How to cook vegan sausages in the oven
If you preheated your oven and would prefer to bake your sausages rather than fry them, brush each sausage lightly with olive oil and place in the centre of the oven for around 10-15 minutes. Be sure to turn half way through cooking and bon appetit! Your vegan-friendly sausages are ready to enjoy.
How to cook vegan sausages in a frying pan
To cook on the hob, simply place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and lightly brush your sausages with olive oil before adding to the pan. Pop a lid on and turn the sausages every 2 minutes to ensure even browning. Once cooked to your liking, serve up with some mash and veggies and tuck right in!